Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Listen only.

Eyes shut, lights off, mouth closed, earphones in, music on. It is the only way to listen. A couple of years ago, when my pursuit of hockey took me away from home and into multiple, diverse, living arrangements one constant habit followed me faithfully. On most nights I would lay awake in bed, frozen & motionless, armed only with my headphones and ipod or laptop and a select play list of nominated musical selections. I would create my own theatre and this forum would act as my escape, a refuge for my thought and only that, spared from distraction. I credit this habit for a hearty increase in musical appreciation and overall enjoyment on my part. But it was also when in this world, that I developed and understood the beauty of selective singularity amongst the senses.

We exist in a realm of distraction. Those who navigate most effectively understand this and are masters at self-direction, discipline and organization. In every task, whether assigned or volunteered we subconsciously manage and delegate our attention to a myriad of functions be they mental, physical or emotional. Take the undervalued sense of listening in this example. When you listen to a song on the radio in your car, the music itself is actually very low on your current list of priorities; I not need to list them. In a concert, visual aids and cues abound in every direction whisking away your focus and train of thought with every flash and effect, the sound simply runs in a complimentary role to the entire production. But isolate the ear, separate sound from sight, taste, smell, touch and scent and then and only then can one truly immerse himself or herself in the intended product of the artist.

Stevie Wonder is renowned for having one of the most musically trained ears in the world. He is indisputably brilliant in dissecting notes, chords and pitch. It also is no surprise that he attributes his loss of sight to his innate ability to understand and hear every component of a musical piece. Although crude, one less sense to worry about will only make the others more trained and keen. This is hardly a new concept, as it is well known that be one deaf, blind or mute, the sacrifice of a sense only lends additional complexity and strength to the others.  

The same goes for enjoying a taste of wine or bite of filet with ones eyes shut. One needs not a handicap to enjoy the perks of sensory isolation. But in the waning moments of my day, when I can in essence turn the world off, is when every chord sounds more distinguished, instrument accentuated and vocal tone defined. There is great benefit in restricting oneself from spreading his or hers concentration too thin amongst the senses. When I read, I try to do so in the same manner, void of sound and of any other distractions as possible. It is then only that I truly feel that I am capturing the intended content of the author. Granted, I do not sit in a restaurant with my eyes closed, but to that I argue if you are dining out, correctly, the food is only part of the intended experience.

I am raving about this small, subtle thought only because the difference to me in sensory experience is so distinct. When I have the ability and fortune to be able to restrict myself to only listen, is when I am able to hear the entire essence and message of artist in full. Furthermore any thoughts I conjure I do so with enhanced detail and reflections pondered with only heightened clarity. The world we exist in will never cease to provide us with more than enough for our senses to digest. And as attractive as that may be, and sound, and smell and feel, perhaps there can be greater appreciation and enjoyment found in less. Rather than spreading our cognitive capacities abreast like butter on toast, we should restrict content absorbed and devote heightened focus, pressure and meditation to only the select. For if this strategy can form diamonds in rock, shouldn’t the possibilities for our minds and bodies be equally promising? 

No comments:

Post a Comment