Friday, July 2, 2010

I like my wine like my women and my art like my mind.

Wine intimidates people. The drink of the gods, the staple of France, the blood of Napa, with wine comes a sense of pomp and sophistication few other luxuries can offer. To the novice, the massive breadth and scope of the “Wine World” can make even the most curious patron cower in the corner, scared to be exposed as a beginner. With a dictionary all of it’s own, countless varietals, infinite vineyards and a devout following from primarily the higher class, wine carries many barriers of entry that keep many the would be drinker sticking to other alcohols and beverage options.

At a restaurant I used to work at we would routinely hold wine education courses, typically featuring representatives from various vineyards running seminars and tastings to better educate our staff in the pro’s, and pro’s, of their selective bottles. More often than not, the educators would rattle off facts and notes pertaining to the blends, the processes, the types of grapes and aging processes that usually left us as students bored and disinterested. Of course tasting the wine was another matter. Once we could hold, swirl, smell and sip the fermented grape juice our senses and curiosities rose sharply. We sought out hidden flavors, often trying our hand at pin pointing obscure flavors as tobacco, nutmeg, chocolate, even red bell pepper! And despite our attempts being more than a bit on the comically sarcastic side, the representatives would always find a way to encourage and attempt to diffuse and or explain our tastes. As long as we liked it, we would sell it, and they would have done their job.

I distinctly remember one particular educator who likened each wine to a different kind of woman. “This red is a classy, dark, intellectual wine. Think of a vintage Hollywood starlet.” Or “This white is light, sweet, and innocent, it is a lot of fun. Think of your high school sweetheart, when life was simple and carefree!” Abstract, yes, but these analogies worked, they helped us identify with each wine, develop character and opinions and enhanced our waning curiosities in a topic we could always afford to learn more in. I enjoyed this representative’s speech, and consequently will always remember how he closed the class. “Look” he declared, pressing both knuckles into the long wooden table, “People love to make wine complicated, it makes them feel distinguished, exceptional. The truth is wine is like any luxury in life in that if you like it, nothing else really matters. To some a Lamborghini is a dream car; to another it is a Porsche, or even a truck! If you find a wine you love, do not let anyone tell you otherwise, drink what makes you happy! For that is the purpose and enjoyment of it all.” What he did in that conclusion was empower us; he put us on a level playing field with every wine novice and wine connoisseur on the planet. He let us know we could not only belong, but stand on our own, hold a conversation, defend our selections. I now no longer scan menus searching for a popular name, or sort by price, hoping to randomly obtain some wine credibility. I have slowly found what I enjoy, and the stress and pressure of it all has been evaporated from my shoulders.

Today I made my way around the National Gallery of Australia, home to hundreds of world class pieces from artists as distinguished and noted as Picasso, Monet, Warhol & Pollock. As I strolled the open aisle ways, pausing to read descriptions, admire classics, investigate others, I had the same type of  “Wine” moment. Art has always been a curious subject for me. For those who follow it, and study the subject, I can’t tell you how many times I have stood facing a piece, that for the life of me I could not “grasp” or even pretend to enjoy. Many of these created by world-renowned masters of their mediums. For the longest time I would feel embarrassed, like I simply did not know enough about the work to truly enjoy it, that I wasn’t qualified to be a critic. I would nod and agree and guess just like I had done on wine lists for so many years.  Often I would creep behind a tour group to hear the host give his or her opinions on what made these often “questionable” pieces of art, such “masterpieces”, and rarely was I satisfied. I just didn’t get it, I guess?

Today however I sat and admired a wall size masterpiece from Jackson Pollock titled  “Blue Poles”. His trademark paint scattering style completely saturating a canvas twenty feet wide and 12 feet high.  Bright splashes of orange, leapt from the wall against a background of blues and grays, whites and blacks also masqueraded in the background giving further effect. I loved this painting.  I told myself “If I like it, what else is there to debate? No one can tell me otherwise.” This quiet confession emboldened me. It gave me a new sense of art critic confidence. Many before me may have distinguished these artists as “Masters” but no one could tell me what, or whose artistic expressions I enjoyed, except myself.

With each gallery I found new favorites. Most were from artists largely unknown as well as a few classics from the stalwarts. Comparatively there were also quite a few selections I disliked, again, many from legendary artists.  But this was my show, my art critique and it made the whole experience that much more enjoyable. For reasons I cannot quite explain, it is almost empowering to be able to stand and make a judgment or critique on something that so many others try to sway your opinion on.

Like wine, perhaps that is why art is so grand, and will forever stand the tests of time and change. Both allow you to find your own flavors, favorites and style. The options are endless and surely there must be one “masterpiece” for every person, of every type and discriminations. The key lays within ones self. To be able to block the hype of the masses, to search and discover ones own unique tastes and visions is what makes these two genres so forever rewarding. I thoroughly enjoy some wines, and I dislike many others. I love select art, and I am confused and even disappointed in more than a few pieces. If beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so does good wine and incredible art. The only hurdle we must mount is the ability to be able to break through the commonplace perceptions, dispel the praise and critiques of others, develop our own style in selection, and when we do this free of persuasion, our end results will be nothing short of masterful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment