Monday, April 5, 2010

Conception

The intent of this blog is solely for the expression and organization of the ideas, thoughts and experiences I live from this day forward. All content is strictly opinionated by the author and purely reflects my explanation and reasoning to everything. 

Writing a blog is an idea I have "kicked around" for a year or so now. I've done quite a lot of reading, nearly entirely non-fiction and of the business centered variety. If you know me, you know eventually I plan to attack the business world, and I will. During my extended time of further self discovery and adventure this type of "centering" of myself with reading has enabled me to feel productive, even while I am traveling the world and pursuing my sport while my body allows. In this instance productive translates into growing and preparing myself as professional so that when the next epic chapter of my life arrives, I will be prepared, and confident in my chances of success. The individuals whose literary works I have studied, all share the common trait of recording their knowledge and experiences in written word, and all attribute large segments of their endured success to this practice. Ergo, I am aiming to harvest similar rewards through implementing this new, literary discipline into my daily life. 

In two plus weeks I return to Australia to play in my second season with the Canberra Knights in the Australian Ice Hockey League. Despite the belief that I was ready to move on in life, outside the rink, the temptation of exploring such a beautiful, exciting country for a second time was too much to pass up. Briefly, after deciding to return, I experienced mix emotions regarding whether I was making the right choice, in contrast to taking up employment and pursuing a career. I sought out the advice of others, I read books about finding ones true calling, and performed an abundance of inner soul searching. I am proud to announce that I am utterly and completely satisfied with my decision and intend to enjoy every minute of the next six months in the land down under. 

However, pertaining to the practice of being productive towards the eventual goal of success in the professional arena, I intend to accomplish a series of objectives while abroad, and furthermore, using this written ledger as a means of holding myself accountable. Currently, I am learning French solely for the fact that I want to learn a second language. I want to prepare myself to take the GMAT upon my return to the US because graduate studies IS on my career to-do list. I also want to educate myself more completely on the art of "The Deal", sales to be specific. The reason, being an aspiring business professional, is that I have witnessed the massive shift to performance based positions with companies in todays economy. And frankly, I accept the fact that if you want to succeed, you need to know sales. Fitness is another area where I take pride in continually improving. Improving my health I consider a hobby, and one I extremely enjoy. I fully intend to be in better shape when I leave Australia, whenever that may be, then when I enter the country on April 22nd. As I develop and implement more targets for my development, I will make them official and include their inception into this blog. Stay tuned. 

In closing, at this point, I have no idea on a specific direction, organization or style for this blog. I fully intend to keep it that way. Whether it be to vent, to reflect, to lobby, or merely recount, I want to approach this mechanism daily for what it is. A blank tablet, void of any preceding impressions, an open space, fresh soil, for me to use in aims of improving and bettering myself one idea and literary creation at a time. You've been warned. 

1 comment:

  1. I've read all....once again you have opened my eyes even wider and you continue to impressed with the depth, skill, intelect and humor that is the backbone of all you have accomplished off and on the ice. You make us particularly proud and happy parents.

    ReplyDelete