Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Good Memory Is Good Business

Nearly four years ago I purchased my goaltender mask from Promasque. A prideful "Little guy" in the goaltender equipment industry, tucked away in a small Massachusetts township. Promasque has made their name with unrivaled customer first philosophies, a solid, consistent product, and a level of accessibility unbeknown to the larger players in the field. Granted, the masks themselves are what attracted me to the outfit, but it was the reviews, chalked full of praise for the care and commitment infused into every transaction that made my buying decision for me. To this day my head is still in one piece, the mask continues to hold up its end of the bargain, and I have no qualms or hesitations in generously recommending their products and services to any who will listen. Yet, this doesn't mean I am opposed to any future acts or instances that would furthermore enhance my post sale satisfaction, and today, one little act spoke volumes to me about the way this company continues to do business. 

After "Wearing" slap shots to the nose on more than one occasion in the hundreds of skates my mask has endured, I opted to pick up a new cage, one that wasn't bent nearly onto my nostrils. I dialed Promasque and immediately was connected with the owner, Matt, the only person I have dealt with since my original transaction. He quickly diagnosed the issue, explained the options, and prescribed a solution. I agreed and within five minutes was placing my order. But it was upon him asking my name where this instance of "Good" business occurred. 

"Lowe....Ah The Eagle Skull mask! That thing was awesome! I was just talking to a customer about the design on that baby the other day!" Exclaimed Matt. The guy, in under ten seconds, completely remembered everything about my order, nearly four years old. This ladies and gentlemen is how you keep customers. At that point the price of the new cage didn't matter, the shipping, none of it. I was comfortable and completely satisfied in giving Matt & Promasque my business. One impressive act of memory had made me feel important and appreciated and that my friends is the crucial element in any business transaction. 

People like to feel appreciated. It's human nature, even more so human desire. The want and need to feel appreciated. In this particular instance, it took literally ten seconds of conversation, and a heck of a memory to give me that emotional satisfaction. 

I've waited tables for years now, and at my current place of employment "The Grill On The Alley" a massive part of our clientele are known as "Regulars". A regular is a guest who is known by the staff, almost always by name, and is treated to the same level of service and satisfaction every time they select our restaurant as their dining destination du jour. People love to be regulars. Note that there is no discount, no real perks, no incentives to frequent customers. They come back because they feel appreciated, wanted, welcomed. There is a special something in knowing that your salesperson knows "Who" you are and a calming relaxation that consequently you are assured to be "Taken care of." This message and emotion translates into every type of business,  in every conceivable industry. Additionally I believe I am far from alone in believing that it is this effect, more so than any other, that keeps them coming back for more time after time. 

The ability to memorize and save data and experience is a natural gift we all too often take advantage of. Yet Those who recognize it's power, and it's capability and sheer potential stand to reap benefits inconceivable in many areas of life, and in this instance, the field of business. For we as a people commit countless energy and efforts to maximizing our ability to sway others to see our way, to want what we can provide and to return for more, whatever more may be. A miniature act of sincere appreciation and acknowledgement made me feel important. It probably all but ensured I call Promasque again when in need, and even has compelled me to spread the good word about the companies business ethics, via a blog in this case. I want to have this affect on people. 

I am admittedly bad with names. I even attempt to use the old "Say it 7 times in your head to remember." technique, often to no avail. Yet until today it was never something I focused much of my self improvement energies on. This will not remain accepted practice. Experiencing the effectiveness of a memory, and the resulting appreciation has compelled me to immediately improve and implement a steady diet of enhanced appreciation towards others. I don't care if it's by ginkgo, more sleep, managing stress, or any other accepted methods of memory enhancement, I am excited to work on this. For today I witnessed a simple act of supplier consumer appreciation and it did wonders for my post sale satisfaction.  This one small act did so much that the limits and sheer untapped potential of larger acts of appreciation is nothing less short of exhilarating. 

1 comment:

  1. 1) Don't blame the mask for the big nose
    2) "Parrot" skull, you should have corrected Matt
    3) This post has proved inspirational for me, thank you Mr. Lowe.

    ReplyDelete