Friday, April 9, 2010

Help me, help myself

For the past two years I have been on a reading tear, churning through printed text faster than a Peregrine falcon ( World's fastest bird ). My tastes lie in the non-fiction variety, more specifically business books and "self-help" titles. The philosophy I practice in selecting my books is one of future benefit. I want to gain something by investing my time and mind into these works. I enjoy reading, but I also "See" reading as a fantastic opportunity to broaden and enrich existing skill sets and even once in a while create new ones. This again can be traced back to my "Productivity" paradigm I attempt to exist in during this stage of life. 

Before I even crack the cover of a new text I perform the necessary homework to make myself aware of what exactly it is I am committing myself to absorbing. Diligent online searching, reviewing, digging goes into filtering, and eventually selecting a book. Being business minded, and career focused, I want to read exactly what the "Greats" of current and past generations have read. I absolutely believe that to be the best, one must study and learn from the best. I fear that with the countless number of available books in the world, the odds must be fairly high of picking up one which fails miserably in it's desired intent to captivate, influence and mesmerize the reader. I am proud thus far in my figurative success rate in finding "Good" books versus "Bad". 

People are proud of the books they read. I would be lying if I said there was not a smidgen of inner satisfaction with myself of the text covered in the past two years. Consequently I can appreciate and understand the fact that people love to discuss conquered texts. Why? Because it's a commitment, it is time consuming and often takes a great deal of discipline and effort to "Get through" a book. I now understand the allure of book clubs because of this phenomenon. I challenge you to ask someone close to you to share with you the "Best" book they have read in the last three years and to tell you why. I believe their response will be more receptive and enthusiastic than you might think. Personally I am excited to discuss books with others for the first time in my life. 

We as humans love to judge, rate & rank everything. Experiences, products, services, shows, sports, the list goes on and on. We take pride in our opinions and gain satisfaction in sharing these thoughts and feelings. The same principle is no different with books read and I believe great advantage can be found in this behavioral pattern. I have recently implemented a practice into my lifestyle in which I try to ask for book recommendations from anyone in any position or role or lifestyle that might posses some thing, whatever it may be, that I admire. In interviews, over coffee, at a sporting event, wherever! I have found great satisfaction in the results it produces, the conversations it induces and consequently have found and/or reaffirmed many of my book selections this way. I suggest you try it for it beats simply searching under the "20% off" sign at your nearest bookstore. 

My point being, just as a man enjoys the "chase" so much with a woman, I enjoy seeking out the next installment of my literary library just the same. OK, maybe not quite as much, but you can sympathize. Sharing experiences with others, asking others for theirs, researching and reviewing opinions, reports, and so on has helped me ensure nearly 100% satisfaction with my selected books and I believe it can do so with everyone. We all enjoy receiving a little credit for a job well done, and committing ourselves to conquering a book is no different. Yet the great thing about books lies in their reward, in the new thoughts, feelings and re-evaluated outlooks they can provide, and by sharing these with others you are not only reaffirming their intentions, but positively influencing the endeavors of other eager conquerors of the literary realm. 




No comments:

Post a Comment