Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Up in the Air

Yes. The George Clooney movie. I enjoyed it. Being a mid twenties male with a looming career on the brain I felt the film provided a complete package in the trip it took viewers on. The guy fires people, wears nice suits, lives out of posh hotels across America and has a hefty expense account. What's not to love? Well, except for maybe the firing part ( He also does motivational speaking engagements!? ) Clooney adds the expected sandpaper to smooth everything out and makes me want to do what he does. 
Now the film had me engaged. I was interested. This is where they start working in the undertones and themes that will later make the movie. Does Clooney, or Ryan Bingham in this instance really have it all ? Well it wouldn't make a movie if he did. So they begin stripping away the layers of his world, injecting vulnerability, a dash of emotion and of course a gorgeous on screen female presence. Funny how a woman can always provide "more". 
Up In The Air was effective in its intent. At least on myself. I envied this guys lifestyle, picture myself in his shoes, strolled around the block, enjoyed my time. Then, aided by the previously stated vulnerability injections, and on screen emotions and messages, realized, again applying my own experiences and feelings to the role, that maybe Bingham didn't have it all, maybe there IS more to living than just nice "luggage". 
I think everyone enjoys movies that lets us infuse ourselves into them, swish them around, coat the pallet and form our own conclusions and end feelings. Maybe it's the sensation of feeling accomplished. As if there was purpose in our viewing. I enjoyed imagining myself in Ryan Binghams shoes, and equally appreciated acting as if it was me coming to the on screen revelations that life is more than a ten million mile card, even if there are only 7. 

No comments:

Post a Comment